It looks there's a lot more work planned for the escalator refurbishment at Bank and Monument. I've been sent some info that gives details of the full programme:
- April 2008-Autumn 2009: DLR-Monument (E12-13 and E14-15). These are the ones currently closed.
- September 2008-June 2009: Northern Line-Monument (E4-5), one at a time. If the remaining one fails the Northern Line will have to non-stop Bank due to lack of evacuation routes.
- May-October 2008: Lombard Street ticket hall escalators (E6-7), one at a time.
- Late 2009-Autumn 2011: DLR to Bank (E8-9 and E10-11). These have already been worked on, but it seems it was life-extending maintenance, and this will be the full replacement.
- TBD: Main Central Line escalators (E1-3)
The presentation notes that the DLR escalators are being replaced so early in their life (17 years) due to much heavier usage than anticipated.
The E4-5 works will mean there'll actually be no Monument to Bank interchange, though Bank to Monument should still be a goer. One of the E6-7 escalators is closed already, so that work shouldn't make things any worse at the Bank End. In fact, things are better since I made that last map - the spiral staircase route has been open every time I've been there.